Question
Posted by: Patsy | 2004/10/26

King Sayer (Sawyer) disease

My grandmother had a disease called (if I remember correctly) King Sayer or King Sawyer's disease, which caused degeneration of her muscles. As far as I could determine, not much is known about this. Do you perhaps know if it is genetic?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Patsy

I have never heard of King Sayer disease, and it seems very probable that a misunderstanding has arisen, at one time or another. In any event, if your parents and yourself currently have normal muscles, it is most unlikely that your grandmother's problem will be passed on through the family.

Regards, Maritha