Question
Posted by: sonja | 2005/11/21

kind met hoe ik

My seun van 8 het ek laat toets aangesien sy juf bly se het hy moet op rittelin gaan hy is te besig. Ons het allerhande toets laat doen en wat toe blyk is dat hy glad nie adhd is nie(soos ek bly se het) maar hoogs begaafd is.

ons woon op n plattelands dorp en is redelik ver van hulp af. ek wil graag weet wat kan n mens doen om die kind meer te stimuleer, sodat hy sy potensiaal ten volle kan ontwikkel.

dankie

I don't know of any teachers who are properly qualified to make any diagnosis, but sometimes they're right in drawing attention to a child with posible problems, and then a proper expert shrink's assessment is a wise move.
Pleased to hear that he doesn't seem to have ADHD.
I expect that you will receive further ideas and suggestions from our regular readers, tomorrow. Meanwhile, at least, by posting here, you demonstrate that you have internet access --- there are, especially if you get ( from your ISP, eg ) net nanny type software to help him avoid the nasty stuff out there --- there are many wholesome and entertaining and interesting sites for him to explore, games to play ( and puzzle and other games can be helpful as stimulants and as practise at problem-solving skills ) and information to gather to look in more depth into topics arising in his school-work.

2
Posted by: lady nina | 2005/11/22

hi girl

kyk ek vat ook nie alles as die waarheid as a onderwyseres kla nie maar as jou kind n hoe ik het het jy a grooter verantwoordelikheid as die gemiddelde ouer

jy moet karakter in hom inbou sodat hy a plesier is om in die klas te he... gewone goeie maniere en respek vir ander dan sal juffrou nie kerm nie
bv al ken hy die antwoord moet hy weet hy mag nie uitskree nie, in plaas van juffrou te irriteer kan jy help om die klas skoon te maak as sy werk klaar is, dit help nie hy stimuleer him akedemies nie , jy moet sy karakter bou sodat hy n gebalanseerde jong man kan wees

sterkte

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/21

My son used to attend workshops at the Johannesburg College of Education on Saturday mornings, designed to stimulate gifted children. This could be a good place to contact for advice.

Another option is to contact Mensa, they have get-togethers for teenage children (I think your son might still be too young), where they do projects together, challenges, discuss certain issues, do tests etc.

Although both these places might be too far away, they can probably give you good advice.

You should have a fair idea of what interests your son. It might be a hobby like model-building or something technical or mechanical. Visit a good hobby shop when next you're in town, he will have hours of fun. My son hates reading, yet he reads anything related to the property market. His knowledge on this subject, is phenomenal and although his books are costing me a fortune, I willingly buy it for him.

Intellectual stimulation is important, but don't neglect physical activity, especially swimming. Routine, structure and consistency is so important. Teach him to make to do lists and keep a roster of future events, since these children are usually scatterbrains.

The most important advice I can give you (I know you weren't asking about this), is to give your son emotional support. These children feel different to us, they perceive things in a different way, they think different, they battle socially, but they are very sensitive little creatures.

Reply to Buzz