Question
Posted by: Adele | 2008/01/07

Kilojules

Hi doc, I just want to get your expert opinion. I am a female, weighing 103.8, 1.78m and age 29. I brought myself a kilojule counting book and I spin about 4 to 5 times per week and will be starting with light weight training this coming week. I've been to a dietician before and she said that I should eat between 5000 - 5500kj per week in order to loose weight. I had a look at my diet and saw that I only consume about 3800kj per week and with my Heart Rate Monitor I burn about 400 calories whilst doing spinning.

My question is. If I consume less than 5000 - 5500 kj per day, will I still loose weight. cause I do eat 6 meals per day, which is

40g Jungle Oats with fat free milk, snack is apple or fat free yoghurt, lunch is tuna, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and another fruit, snack is apple or yoghurt, supper is protein and veggies.

I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Dear Adele
Because your present BMI = 32,7, which is in the obese range, you will lose weight on your proposed diet even if it only contains 3800 kJ per day. However weight loss is often hampered by an energy intake that is too low because the body shuts down its weight loss systems in the face of perceived starvation. Let's see how you progress on 3800 kJ per day and if your weight loss slows down you can consider increasing your energy intake to 5500 kJ per day by adding more fat-free yoghurt and a serving of high-fibre carbohydrate to ensure regularity. Your suggested diet may be deficient in nutrients so do take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte every second day to prevent deficiencies.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.
Holding thumbs that you start losing.