Question
Posted by: Candy | 2006/11/01

Kilojule amounts and plan?

Hi Doc,

I am 1.65m tall and weigh 65kg. I am female and have an hour glass shape, but a greater tendency to put weight on my bum and outer thighs.
This is the heaviest I've ever been, and I would like to lose a reasonable 5kg, but as they say the last 5 are the hardest!
I exercise 3-4 times per week (more if I can make it) for an hour per session (running;cycling;spinning; stepper; and 2 sessions of light weights). My problem is my diet could be better.
How many kilojules should I consume per day to lose weight, and can you recommend an eating plan?

Dear Candy
Your present BMI = 23,9 which is already within the normal range which does slow down weight loss. As an adult women you need 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Keep up the good work with the exercise.