Question
Posted by: Suni | 2008/01/26

Kilojoules - Daily intake

Please can you tell me how much of Kilojoules intake there should be at the age of 33yrs, women, not physically active.
Which Vegitarian products are low in Kilojoules that could suite my Kilojoules intake.

Dear Suni
Adult women who are not physically active require approx. 8400 kJ per day to maintain a normal weight. Most vegetarian products are low in energy, but you need to reduce the amount of fat you eat. For example added fat in the form of margarine or oil and fat used in cooking. Keep in mind that nuts are the one plant food that has a very high energy and fat content. Eat nuts in moderation. Concentrate on eating plenty of legumes (dry, cooked beans, peas, lentils and soya products) because these foods are naturally low in fat, but high in diet fibre and protective nutrients, and contain plant protein.