Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2007/11/27

Kilojoules

I'm 27, female, 1.68m tall, weighing 78kg. I've just started a balanced low fat diet, with less portions. always include all food groups in meals. Eat 3 small meals with snack in between ie. fruit,low fat crackers, low fat yoghurt. What is maximum kilojoules should I consume per day to lose 15kg in 6 months? Don't do much exercise due to time constraints. And how much excess kj should I be using to reach my goals.

Dear Bongi
I am glad that you are using a balanced, low-fat diet and smaller meals to start losing weight. Basically an adult woman who is trying to slim, requires 6300 kJ per day to lose approx. 1 kg per week (thus in 6 months you should reach that goal of 15 kg). If you find it difficult to do exercise like going to a gym or walking, you can always buy a skipping rope and skip every day. Start off gradually skipping slowly for about 10 min a day and as you get fitter, increase how fast you skip and how long until you are doing 30 min a day.
Good luck with your programme