Question
Posted by: laura | 2004/01/05

killer bitch

Please could you tell me, how can i stop my GSD bitch from killing puppies, she has killed two female pups in the recent past, but has had many of her litters, which she protects with her life, in fact we can only get a pup, if its one of hers...then she looks after it for years, trouble is we had her spayed two years ago, now we need o puppy, how must we go about making sure she doesnt kill the new male pup, he is so sweet and innocent, do we keep them seperate,she waits, she killed the other two after about two months, why does she do that , we have five GSD, we on a big farm and need the security, but they are old and we cant replace cause of her.

Hi Laura
There is a chance that your GSD will only kill female pups and the male will be ok, but I personally wouldn't take that chance and I suggest that you either keep them apart until the pup is old enough to defend himself (at least 10 months old) or find another home for him. If you keep him separated he must still be integrated and socialised with other dogs of all breeds and ages so that he is used to dogs when he meets her. If you re-home him, but still want more dogs then I suggest you adopt fully grown young dogs rather than a puppies. Usually you would choose a dog that is the opposite sex (male in your case) and a working breed (GSD, Labrador, Ridgeback) rather than a terrier. The only other option is to wait until she dies before getting more pups.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST