Question
Posted by: Mikhail | 2006/04/19

Kids nose blocked at night

Hello

My 2 yr 9 mtn old boy suffers with a blocked nose at night. He does not have any chronic illnesses and during the day he can breathe properly. It just seems to happen at night that after a few hours of sleep, his nose gets blocked and then he wakes up as he struggles a little to breathe through his mouth.

What can I give him to stop his nose being blocked?

Hallo Mikhail
Try giving him an antihistamine syrup at nite like Zyrtec. He may be allergic to the down in his pillow or to dustmites. You can put his pillow in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any possible dust mites. Get him an hypo allergenic pillow to sleep on if possible.

1
Posted by: sue | 2006/04/19

Hi Mikhail

Lots of little tots suffer from this because their nasal passages are short and small compared to our big bugles! My paed prescribed Salex for my daughter - it is just a salt water solution, so does no harm, and this keeps the nasal passages unblocked and lubricated. I dont think you need a prescription for it, you can get it from any pharmacy.

Reply to sue