Question
Posted by: Mom | 2007/02/27

Kids exercise

What sort of exercises are good for children under the age of 10. Are there any stomach toning exercises as well that are safe for children to do. My child is doing swimming and tennis, but I would like to do some with him at home on the days that we are not doing school sports. Are there any good web sites I can get examples from.

I look forward to your reply.

Hi Mom

The best thing around is play, and I say that with all seriousness. Children up to the age of about 14 should try to play all the sports going - swimming, tennis, soccer, hockey, some athletics, basketball, everything. If they are playing every day of the week, then there is no need for structured exercise. I believe that structured training will kill off most children's enthusiasm for sport. And children definitely don't need specific toning and weight loss exercises, provided they are active enough in everyday activity and at play. Also, diet is critical and that's something you can control, because there is a growing tendency for children to overeat and under-exercise, particularly because of the reliance on junk-food. So my advice is that your son should try to add in maybe 2 days a week of another school sport, or more tennis, or swimming, if he really enjoys it. But the more he plays, the better, because he'll become allround fit doing many different sports.