Question
Posted by: Nelia | 2007/03/23

kids and aspartame

Could you please tell me whether a 4-year old could drink TAB? I'm only talking of about a tin or half a tin a week. I do not allow her to drink Coca Cola or any other fizzy drinks at all, but drink TAB myself when we go out on a weekend, and then she wants to sip from my glass. She considers it the treat of all treats. So, would it be safe to get her a tin or a small glass full on a weekend? Also, we almost never consume sugar at home (other than natural sugars in fruits and vegetables), as we don't drink tea or coffee other than with visitors, and I prefer sweeteners. We do drink artificially sweetened cooldrink (eg. Weighless) occasionally. Again, it has aspartame/saccharine in it. Could she drink this? I'm talking about a glass a week.
And for an adult: how much aspartame is safe? I would sometimes buy a TAB a day to drink at work.

Dear Nelia
Last year practically every international nutrition organisation approved aspartame for use in humans in moderate quantities (like 1 can of Tab a day). Children can also have small quantities, just don't let her get hooked on a product that contains caffeine like Tab.