Question
Posted by: SECOND OPPINION | 2003/01/16

KIDNEY PROBLEMS & PREGNANCY

Dear Doc,

I'm in need of a second opinion and I hope you'd be the one to help me. Last year November I went to my GP to have my hormones checked out etc. due to the fact that I wanted to fall pregnant. When the tests came back my Doc then told me that there where something wrong with my kindeys... the urea and ceretanine levels where too high... another test where done and it came back a bit higher and he sent me for some urin test - I had to save all my urin for 24 hours. After panicing for more than a week waiting for the results he then sent me to an internis (specialist). I was in a flat spin. When I went to see this doc he did every test you can possibly think off... from an EKG through to a lung test... sonars etc. etc. And according to him he could not find anything of this nature. Is it possibley for this to just disappear in a weeks time? I have not heard anything from my doc since eventhough he said that as soon as he received the report from the specialist he'd phone me. Nothing so far... (Only thousands of rands of bills...)Now almost two months after being to the specialist I'm still thinking of falling pregnant and I've since gone off my injection (2 monthly one). I'd like to know if it would be ok to fall pregnant even if there is a slight chance of having a minor problem with my kidneys. My GP is on leave at this stage and I'm not too sure if I want to return to him. I would also like to know if I can ask for my file at the Docters rooms if I need to go and see someone for a second opinion.

Thank you kindly,

Second opinion, if I had to choose I would choose to go with what the specialist physician said. If he says everything is OK, there is no reason to disbelieve him. From this side of the screen it sounds like it’s fine for you to fall pregnant. If you want to be 100% sure, why don’t you just have the kidney test repeated? Good luck.