Posted by: Sara | 2004/03/09

Kidney problems

i have posted this question to cyberdoc and all he could really tell me was to get asecond oppinion but im SICK of being poked and prodded at

my kidney problems started when i was just a baby. I had continuos kidney infections. 3 years ago i got a very bad one and was hosptitilised. After this infection i started to swell, my feet were so swollen the bottoms went flat. the swelling wasnt painful just uncomfortable , the swelling was very quick and usually spread ie from my hand to my elbow. I was hospitalised for that also, but all they did for me was give me cortesone tablets and ice packs.

they sent me to a rheumatic specialist but she would only see me when i was swollen so when i swelled i gave her a call and made an appointment, by the time the appointment came i wasnt swollen nemore.

I have had repeated bladder infections also.

about 8 months ago my back started to hurt as it had done with my previous kidney infections and i went to the doctor, he found blood in my urine and sent me for x rays and a ultrasound both were normal. He eventually decided i was bleeding because i was an "unhappy" person then changed his mind and called it nephritis.

I decided to get a second oppinion and the new doctor sent me to a urologist. He did a scope of my bladder and said i had chronic cystitis and insisted i drink disgusting cranberry juice everyday and take an antibiotic for 50 days. 3 days after the last antibiotic i got another kidney infection. I went back to him and he told me he doesnt think the problem is with my kidneys! he says that i will always have blood in my urine and i probably always have had blood in my urine! Surely when they did all those tests on me as a child they wouldve realised i was bleeding!!

Can u please give me sum ideas of what i might have as today i think i have another kidney infection and ive decided not to go see a doctor as they r just wasting my time and money

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

I'm afraid that kidney probelms are not in my area of expertise.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Elle | 2004/03/09

You have a kidney problem and it has to be treated soon. The symptoms match those my brother (then 16) had. Thankfully, he didn'thave to have his removed. keep knocking on those doors and find a kidney specialist who can help you. just don't let them tell u that 'its nothing major' or that it's not your kidney. tell them what u want done. if u're wrong, its one possibility eliminated. Keep me posted please. And don't lose faith

Reply to Elle

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.