Our expert says:
The risks are : having an operation with any complications that one can get after and operation like deep vein thrombosis, or pneumonia (usually low risk), and having just one kidney.
One would not have to make any dramatic lifestyle changes but obviously need to look after the remaining kidney well:
1. Have a medical check-up at least yearly. This should include a blood pressure check and urine analysis.
2. Have a blood test for kidney function (BUN, creatinine) and electrolytes (blood salts and minerals) yearly
3. If you have high blood pressure, protein in the urine, or other signs of kidney problems, you should have an evaluation by a nephrologist (kidney specialist).
4.Drink plenty of water, especially when playing sports, while out in the sun, and during hot weather.
5. Call your healthcare provider immediately if you have symptoms of a urinary tract infection (burning when you urinate, urinating more frequently than usual, and/or feeling an urgent sensation to urinate) and get treatment early.
6. Check with your healthcare provider or pharmacist before taking any new medicines (prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal). Be sure that your healthcare provider or pharmacist is aware that you have a single kidney.
7. Use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with caution. These include pain or fever medicines (over-the-counter and by prescription) that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen. These medications have been known to cause kidney damage (analgesic nephropathy), especially when taken in excessive doses or when two or more of these medications are combined with caffeine or codeine and taken over long periods of time.
You can use alcohol socially but I would suggest that you not smoke.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.