Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2004/11/03

Kidney Disease

My grandmother died of Brights disease. All of her granddaughters including me now suffer from frequent kidney infections. About a week ago, I went for an ultrasound for my gallbladder and a 1cmx1cm cyst was found on my right kidney and my left kidney is quite a bit smaller than the right. Is there any connection between cysts and Brights disease or any other heriditery kidney disease?. Should I be concerned about this cyst? Should I worry about the size of my left kidney? Thanks!

Tracy, Bright’s disease is an old term once used to describe kidney disease with proteinuria, usually glomerulonephritis. It is not specifically associated with cysts that are 1x1cm in size. Glomerulonephritis may be part of hereditary kidney diseases as it the glomerulus is often affected in kidney disorders. Good luck.