Question
Posted by: Ian | 2007/12/04

Kidney belts and cycling

I have 1 kidney and love mountain biking. should i be wareing a kidney belt, will it help and do you get a light weight 1 for cycling

Hi Ian

Honestly, I have to admit that I don't know the answer to that one. I don't think you do need to wear one - the support function provided is not that significant or necessary during cycling, unless you are perhaps doing some severe downhill - I know that for motocross riding, which involves jumps and landing from quite a height, they do use them, but for mountain biking, I don't think it would be as effective. And then I must confess I don't know exactly what the implications are of having one kidney. I suspect that in terms of support, there are no implications. The only ones I could think of are the fluid regulation problems, but even there, one kidney may be able to play the role adequately. This is more a medical question then, than a fitness one, so I would probably consult with a doctor before making a decision.