Question
Posted by: OLIVE | 2004/10/14

KICKBOXING

What are your views on this form of exercise for a woman?

Hi Olive

I think that from a purely fitness point of view, it's very good, for men and women. I would not make a distinction between the two as far as fitness goes. It's a sport that requires a good deal of technique and so initially, it might be quite tough to really do well and get the most out of, but I really do think that once you become competent, it presents you with a really tough potential training session. That means that you can get a high intensity session, that is both enjoyable and challenging and you can't ask for more than this. Things like running, cycling, swimming etc are also great but for some people they 'monotony' is not great, and kickboxing gives them the dynamic activity they need. The other good thing about it is that you can progress through different phases of 'being competent' and that means that it's always changing, always new challenges to overcome and that can only be a good thing in the long run because it means you will stick with it because of this variety.

The other thing about it, specifically for women, is that it's really a form of self-defence. I think that these days, many forget this because it's commercialised and available to the masses like aerobics, but that's what it is, and for a women to learn this as self-defence, well, that's a bonus to go with the fitness.

I guess like all things, it needs to be done regularly and consistently - it's not going to produce miracle results in a month and of course learning the technique may be frustrating, but I am sure that it is very rewarding and is an activity that you certainly can use for toning and weight loss, if those are your goals, and for fitness, if that's what you are after. Perhaps the best way to implement it is to take 2 or 3 days a week set aside for kickboxing and then on the other days, you do another activity.

Hope this helps