Question
Posted by: Unbin | 2007/06/22

kerotaconus

Hi Doctor,

I have a condition called kerotaconus which is currently very severe. I have already lost vision in my left eye and my right eye is worsening every day. I am currently on the cornea donor list. This is now affecting my employment. Is there any way or anything I can do to delay my right eye from getting worse or even helping to reverse the situation to a certain extent? Should I also take any vitamin suplements like magnesium, etc? Also, is there any other technology available besides the hard contact lenses?

Dear Unbin
Research has shown a possible relationship between malfunction of beneficial enzymes found within the eye's surface and an accompanying chemical imbalance that leads to toxic damage and thinning of eye tissue. It appears to have a genetic cause in some people. Eye damage from keratoconus also can be linked to factors such as overexposure to sunlight, improper fittings of contact lenses, excessive eye rubbing, and continual (chronic) eye irritation.

Things you can do -
Wear a good pair of sunglasses and avoid strong sunlight
supplement with omega 3 and vit c and a good multivitamin
Use an antihistamine or mast cell stabilizer eye drop if you have allergies and itchy eyes.

Wearing rigid contact lenses is still the mainstay of treatment. You won't be able to reverse damage as it is a degenerative disease.