Question
Posted by: New Mom | 2006/04/10

Kennel Cough / Weight

Hi there,

My labrador puppy is 10 weeks old and has had his 5 week and 7 week vacinations. He has been diagnosed with Kennel Cough.

What is the stand on when you are allowed to take your puppy on walks to the park and beach? I was informed by the Vet today only after 11 week vacination or even as late as 4 months old.

I am a very keen, active, new doggy mom and just wanted to get the Pup out to play not being made aware of any possible risks.

My puppy has gained 2kg's in the last 3 weeks (7 weeks-10 weeks old) - is this a heatlh weight for this age Pup?

Could you please advise?

Although people differ on which age puppies should be allowed to mix, we generally now allow them to mix following the second vaccination. In some cases this is also done earlier, to ensure proper puppy socialisation. Many vets will offer a puppy socialisation classes. If your vets do not offer this, phone around to find the nearest place. This is the best way to be introduced and in preparation for later training.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/11

Personally I never take a very young puppy anywhere he may encounter other dogs, until after its 3-month vaccination has had a chance to take effect - ie, around 4 months.

Please be aware - if you're a new puppymom you may not know this - that young pups should not be over-exercised. A bit of playing, at their own pace is fine - but I've seen people egging obviously exhausted dogs on while out or on the beach - it's not good for a young one.

I'm sure you always take water and a bowl with you... but also be aware that a dog that's panting heavily cannot drink, so if he refuses water, give him a chance to recover before you assume he's not thirsty.

As far as his weight is concerned - pups, especially large breeds, grow really incredibly quickly. Do a google search on: dog "growth chart" and you may find one for your breed - although, in fact, you would be well advised not to set too much store by it. Feed your pup the recommended quantity for his age and size, of a good quality puppy food, and do NOT give him any extra supplements. This would encourage extra-fast growth and may lead to weaknesses or to the aggravation of genetically-programmed conditions such as hip dysplasia.

Reply to Chill