Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2007/08/24

kennel cough

My father's dog went to be spayed, bearing in mind that my dad is a pensioner and he took her to the spca, one week down the line and she started with kennel cough, now his other dog has got it even worse and one of my dogs has started too. A good couple of years ago I had a female that got it and I used TCP, and it went away, they do not make TCP anymore what can I use. We cannot afford to take all three dogs to the vet or SPCA to be checked up and given meds or cortizone what can we do?

We usually prefer to treat these animals with antibiotics to prevent them developing pneumonia. Most of them recover sooner from the disease if they are on antibiotics. How did you use the TCP?

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/26

Good question - can dogs gargle? ;-)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/24

You need to assess how serious the kennel cough is in each dog. Mild cases, where the dog is reasonably lively and eats and drinks normally, usually clear up pretty much like a cold does in humans - but if the dogs seem pretty ill, then they will need an antibiotic, because left untreated it can have serious consequences. Perhaps you could phone the spca, tell them what happened, and see if they'll give you antibiotics without having to bring the dogs in...? worth a try.

Otherwise - try getting a bottle of Benylin with codeine, and giving the dog the SMALLEST dose - you don't say what kind of dogs you have, but for a smallish dog, around 5 ml a couple of times a day will help. Large dogs could take a little more - but rather err on the side of caution.

Please do remember that kennel cough is extremely infectious and remains infectious for a while even after it's cleared up, so please be responsible and isolate your dogs from other dogs for a bit.

Reply to Chill