Question
Posted by: P | 2006/04/21

kelp tablets

Hi there doc

I read in one of your replies that too much kelp tablets is bad....okay..well,i know that,BUT how much is too much?the box says that you must take 1 to 2 a day.last year i went to the doctor,she did tests,and told me that my TH is within the lower end of the norm and that i should take kelp tablets.i have been doing so for just over a year,and dont know when i am supposed to stop.another thing....my parotid glands look quite swollen all the time,im sure this isnt linked,but just a separate question ....why would those glands be swollen(glands under my jaw on both sides of the upper oesophagus).

thanx :)

Dear P
It is not a good idea to take supplements high in iodine like Kelp tablets when you are taking thyroid hormone treatment, which is not the case with you. The fact that your parotid glands are swollen is probably not related to taking Kelp, and the only way to find out what is causing this condition (blockage of the ducts, infection, grinding of teeth at night, etc) is to ask the dr to check them out. Also ask the dr to monitor your thyroid hormone levels to see if you still need to take the Kelp or not.