Question
Posted by: Curious | 2004/12/02

Katabox

Friends of mine has asked me to join a class with them that does Katabox for 1 hour, 2 x week.

Firstly, what is Katabox and what are the benefits of doing this form of exercise?
Secondly, is this sufficient exercise being only twice a week for someone wanting to get in shape?

Hi Curious

Katabox is an activity similar to aerobics, but it has its origins in the martial arts. So, someone has used their martial arts training or ability to devise an exercise routine, which can be instructed just like aerobics is, to classes who wish to use it for fitness rather than self-defence. I would be lying if I said I knew which martial arts it was, but essentially, you can think of it as aerobics crossed with martial arts training.

It is a very effective form of exercise, because it involves large muscle groups and dynamic movements. So, as with other cardiovascular exercise types, the advantages would be improved fitness, weight loss (all things being optimal, like diet and the rest of your lifestyle), and in the case of katabox, co-ordination and balance and postural control and stability would also improve. This is one difference between katabox and say running. Even though running is the best for weight loss (it has the highest energy expenditure), katabox has other advantages that running does not.

As for how much is needed, you are correct, two days is most likely not enough, I would encourage people to do 4 to 6 days a week rather than just 2. However, if you are not doing anything right now, then 2 days a week is a very good start, and it represents a massive increase from zero, so I would certainly not dismiss it on this basis. Perhaps you can give it a try, see what it does and then decide whether you want to stick with it or change to another exercise type, or even add in a day or two of something else during the week.