Question
Posted by: Katryn | 2004/02/15

Kat wikkel stert teen objekte

Dankie Doc vir vorige raad. Kan u asb weer help. My kat wikkel haar stert teen kaste, tafel, stoel ens. Die stert is regop (soos altyd) dan staan sy voor objek en skud haar stert. Is dit normaal? Dankie!

Hi Katryn
Jammer my Afrikaans is nie baie goed nie. Your cat is spraying or at least going through the motions of spraying. This is a territory-marking behaviour whereby the cat stands and squirts urine onto vertical surfaces. Both male and female, neutered and entire cats can do this, although it's the entire toms that do it most. So neutering may help, if your cat is not neutered. Cats will do this when they are excited or anxious so, if your cat is spraying then try to work out what the cause is and remove it. Punishing this behaviour is not recommended as this only increases anxiety levels and will lead to increased spraying. If she is just going through the motions and there is no urine coming out then my advice is to ignore it.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST