Question
Posted by: Dog lover | 2004/01/07

Karen: Doggy Strange behaviour

My 7 month old male Daschund has a way of "biting" on to my upper arm. It is not really biting as he puts his jaws over my upper arm pushing it in his mouth as deep as possible. He's eyes sort of "rolling" in different directions. It is not a fit, but seems more like a pleasurable expierance that some times goes with the sexual movement of the lower body, although not always. He's been doing this since very small and most of the time falls asleep like that. It does not really bother me, I just would like to know why he is doing this.

Hi Dog lover
This is a strange one and my answer is "I don't know". However I can guess that it may be a type of care seeking behaviour similar to a cat kneading or suckling on humans. Perhaps he was removed from his mother too early. It could also be a sexual behaviour like masturbating, or perhaps it's a combination of the two. Neutering him may reduce the behaviour. I would certainly not worry too much about it, but perhaps discourage it by giving him a soft toy to replace your arm.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST