Question
Posted by: Anoniem | 2003/02/20

KARATE

KAN U VIR MY Sê OF DIT WAAR IS DAT KARATE `N SONDE IS A.G.V. DIE OOSTERSTE GELOOF
OF WAAR KOM DIE STORIE VANDAAN?

This is a very interesting question, but really rather far outside my areas of expertise. I cannot see any reason why anyone of sound mind would consider a properly conducted sporting activity like karate to be a sin. Does any other reader have any idea where this idea may have arisen ? Most probably from some spoilsport ; some folks seem to prefer to use a religious argument, rarely properly based, to promote their ambtions as a killjoy and spoilsport.

10
Posted by: Nikita | 2003/02/26

Zeena,

Thanks for that, it is great to see that their are open minded people around.

Nina,
If you "empty your mind" you can focus on other things.
It is not a statement that makes you brain dead.

Reply to Nikita
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/02/24

I can well believe it, Spooky. I have tried to live my life fairly decently so far, but since I was a child I was (at first only slightly) rebellious at some of the stuff I had to listen to in church on a Sunday. As I grew older I decided to get rid once and for all of this yoke, this weight laid on me by old men in black cassocks and thin-lipped people who seemed to find no joy in life ...

I came to realise that the smaller the mind, and the less inclined a person is to listen to other points of view and the more "verkramp" they were. (I think they are terrified to venture outside their narrow religious territory -- maybe they feel safer inside their little barbed-wire camps). The greatest "born-again Christians" usually have the most personal hangups and problems. You can also bet their IQ's are not very high, and thinking deeply, reading stuff which might upset their tight little mindset, are either too much for them, or they see it all as "sin", "of the devil" , etc. (Easier than thinking and reasoning!) Goodness -- the Chinese civilisation is 1,000's of years old! Ancient and wise -- but their religions are "of the devil"! As far as I know, Hinduism and Buddhism are far less aggressive and warlike than Christianity.

Now a young guy finds joy in karate and some interfering, narrow-minded old busybody tells him it is "of Eastern origin" and "sinful" . Yes, I'm gatvol of all this! Thanks for your reply!

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: Spooky | 2003/02/24

In the Army, our "Major" was one of these religious fanatics who promoted and participated in boxing but condemned karate as Satanistic. Can you believe it??!!!!

Reply to Spooky
Posted by: Spooky | 2003/02/24

Well said, Zeena !
You write so well in both languages - real kick-ass stuff this time.
(By the way, I think the afikaans translation for "fed-up" may be "gatvol".)
Thanx for your valued input on this subject.
Spooky

Reply to Spooky
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/02/21

Anoniem -- lees asb. hier! Dit verstom my altyd dat die Afr. kerke en die sogenaamde Christene so gou is om af te spring op enigiets wat nie sedert die Groot Trek in hul kultuur bestaan nie, en dit "sonde" te noem! NEE, karate is nie sonde nie!! Dis ook nie sonde om te mediteer (stil te raak) of aan reïnkarnasie te glo, of wat ook al nie. Gooi daardie gewig van "alles wat lekker is, is sonde" van jou skouers af, en LEEF! Karate is 'n wonderlike sport -- gaan voort en geniet dit!

Dink só hieroor: waarom sal 'n onmeetlike, onverstaanbare God, 'n "Great White Spirit", die Skepper, voel hy moet homself bemoei met 'n moedige mensie (ons is nietig in die Heelal) wat net sy lewe probeer lei, en dinge beproef, en sporte beoefen??

Dit moet dan 'n besonder KLEIN godjie wees, as sulke dinge hom traak!!! Is dit nie eerder die grootste sonde -- en luister asseblief, al jul "wedergeborenes" -- om God te VERKLEIN tot die statuur van 'n kwaai ou oom met 'n wit baard nie?? 'n Ou oom wat net sit en afkyk op ons om te sien wie mediteer en wie doen karate en wie lees die verkeerde boeke? (Ek sou wou lag, as ek nie al so fed-up is met die soort houding nie).

Ag, komaan! Ons is op aarde om ons lewe so vol as moontlik te leef! Daarom lees ek boeke oor die lewe ná die dood, oor esoteriese vrae, oor metafisika. God het ons 'n verstand gegee om vrae te vra, om te soek na antwoorde, maar bowe-al -- hy is NIE 'n mens nie! Hy oordeel nie met die verkramptheid van ons kerke en ons "wedergeborenes" nie! Lees die eerste twee gebooie -- daarin staan alles wat jy moet weet, en doen. En miskien moet jy sommer "Die Groot Gedagte" (Gideon Joubert) by jou biblioteek uitneem, en dinge sal vir jou sommer in perspektief spring.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: nina | 2003/02/21

hi sorry the comp went crazy

what i would like to say is
the eastern meditations is a "empting of the mind"
where as christianity is the mind active - thinking and pondering and even writing and studying the word of God - the mind is deffinately not passive

personally i would rather use my mind by being active and not battle to empty it and stop it from working the way it was intended- i find that while the mind is active the spirit becomes alive

this is only my personal conviction and if someone els is living differently but according to what they believe to be true then i respect that

nina

Reply to nina
Posted by: nina | 2003/02/21

hi there

their is a big diffirence between meditation the way the religions tell us and the meditation the bible talks about

religios meditation - teaches you to "empty" your mind and focus on a certain object

Reply to nina
Posted by: nina | 2003/02/21

hi there

Reply to nina
Posted by: Nikita | 2003/02/21

I don't believe it a "sin" even if you do meditate, mainly it is to connect the three,
body-mind-spirit.
Lots of people are Christians and when they are meditating they also use the time
for prayer. If you go deeper into the believes it is actually so close to Christian believes
it is funny.
Now don't get me wrong, some of the "Ninja's" believe in Budha.
Budha is not a "god" it is a way of living.
I can have this discussion all day long but, in short, it is not a "sin"
Goodluck

Reply to Nikita
Posted by: Whooz | 2003/02/21

I recently became a new born Christian. I was stunned to find out that my favourite sport "karate" was considered "sin". Apparently it has nothing to do with the sport itself that much, but with the meditation and "carma" surrounding the sport. It's considered to be a "sexual sin" because it "wakes up" passion and it causes self-love because of a perfect body. (Have you ever seen an overweight ninja) Also karate-people tend to believe in themselves or in strengtening spirits and not in Jesus. I am still trying to find answers in all of this as well. I would like to know if you only do it for the sport and not doing the meditation part if it's still considered "sin", but then of course kata's would be out of the question. I don't know more unfortunately... but I think if your heart is in the right place and you know where your strength and talent comes from and you ask the Lord to help you to know when you are doing someting wrong, it will be alright. Some churches and religions want to find "sin" in every we do... if your looking for it, your gonna find it!!!

Reply to Whooz