Question
Posted by: lulu | 2004/11/04

Just wondering

Just found out sis-in-law phoned the bank to say she was going to kill herself and they must send someone to fetch the car he drives because it's in her name. She died between 2 and 3 hours later. Surely they could have said something to someone about her call??

I want to think one should be able to press charges against the bank for not doing anything with the information about her intentions. Is it at all possible to do that?

Sadly, many people handle the threat of suicide badly, and one really would have hoped that the bank staff would have handled this much better. Presumably they did have the necessary details as to who she was and where she would be. People are often reluctant to take threats seriously, but this sort of threat should surely have been taken seriously. I really doubt that any bank gets many such calls.
You'd need to ask a lawyer about possibilities for redress from the bank. I think you'd have a problem proving that she called them, what she said, and what they said, and after all, using our own money, they can afford much bigger lawyers than you can,
I understand that there is in general a principal in law that expects us to act as a good samaritan where possible.
At least make sure that the bank manager knows what happened as a esult of their pathetic inaction. Especially when they wwere so prompt about repossessing the car --- in other words, they used to knowledge she gave them, not to try to save her life, but to maximize their own profits and bonuses.

5
Posted by: Nina | 2004/11/04

why does everyone in your family wants to end their lives, i think you are making these stories up, you should actually get your family's name on the Guiness Book of Records if this is by any chance true. As for me i dont believe any of your stories,

Reply to Nina
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/04

It's hard to understand exactly what goes through a person's mind at a time like that - To even plan down to the detail of making sure her car is repossessed. I sometimes think of being a shrink but with things like this happening, I doubt I could ever fully understand it or accept it.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: lulu | 2004/11/04

Thanks Chelle.

She was one of the 75% of all suicides that happen out of spite, Kernel. I suppose she wanted to make sure that the bank takes the car as soon as possible and not leave him a gap to hang on to the car for a day or two. They did come take it, yesterday, which of course left him stranded without any transport. He's borrowing a car from us now until he can get another car.

Reply to lulu
Posted by: Kernel | 2004/11/04

Why would she bother about a car in her name and phone the bank if she would have been dead soon? Does not make sense.

You cannot hold the bank responsible if it actually happened anyway. How could they know she was serious, where she was and when it will happen? They probably get hundreds of similar calls, most of them only threats.

Reply to Kernel
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/04

It's really sad that whoever answered the phone didn't do anything, but I doubt there is a law that states you have to do something in these circumstances.

I wonder what this person will do should they ever realise that she did kill herself. Maybe the banks get those kinds of calls from people who threaten to kill themselves because a car is going to be repossessed - maybe they are told to ignore that threat. I don't know - it's hard to imagine getting a call like that, and then not doing anything at all.

Suicide always leaves so many avenues for anger and hurt, and so many unanswered questions. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this now as well.

Reply to Chelle