Question
Posted by: Fatty Toes | 2004/09/28

Just want to know

...CS

What are the implications for a psychiatrist or psychologist who has been treating a person who has commited suicide?

Fatty Toes

OK, FT, I get it -- what implications for a shrink who HAD BEEN treating someone who SUBSEQUENTLY committed suicide. It depends. In any unexpected death, including all by suicide, there ought to be some form of inquest to determine the cause of death. That may be the end of it. But if there is evidence raised at that stage, or complaints made to the police by someone with some standing in the case ( in other words, not a mere busybody interfering ) to suggest that there was negligence in the handling of the case ( some people can and will kill themselves even if they have been treated impeccably well by their shrinks, the fact of their suicide doesn't necessarily mean there was any negligence at all ) then this would probably be investigated further. If the police find evidence of serious misconduct, criminal charges might arise ( as, I hpe, would be the case i someone died in relation to quack treatments like Sleep Therapy) ; and/or they could report the matter to the Health Professions Council which includes a Medical Council dealing with doctors like psychiatrists, and a council dealing with Psychologists, etc. ) for investigation and a possible hearing for disciplinary decisions.
If they are found to have acted badly, maybe no criminally, but "serious professional misconduct" of various types, they could be removed from the register and forbidden to practice, permanently or temporarily, or reprimanded, with this being placed in their record at the COuncil.

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/29

Ahh nou verstaan ek... Dankie.

Defintely no place for me to comment what-so-ever... but I would like to see CS's response.

Thanx,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Fatty Toes | 2004/09/29

...Shaun

You are missing something here sweety. What I want to know is, say if Person "A" was seeing Shrink "B" and Psychologist "C" for a long time, say a year, and Person "A" commited suicide. What would be the implications for Shrink "B" and Psychologist "C"? Would they have to account to some sort of Shrinky board? Would this go on their record? Will it be held against them? Verstaan?

Fatty Toes

Reply to Fatty Toes
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/29

Eehhh, maybe I'm missing something here but me thinks this person should seek help themselves. If the person committed suicide, the person should be dead already!?
Surely you mean "attempted"???

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun