Question
Posted by: PregnantPatty | 2005/11/20

Just plain sore.

Hi there,

I am 4 1/2 months pregnant with my second child, i seem to be absolutely HUGE this time round, i look like i looked when i was 7 months pregnant the first time. ANYWAY. I also breastfed my little one for a year, and i didn't exactly have small breasts to start off with, now they are bigger than before and i really have huge strain on my shoulders and upper back firstly from sitting awkwardly feeding for so long and then i think from just having bigger breasts. I have permanent dull aching pain in my shoulders and upper back, and now i have terrible lower back pain from being pregnant!! I cannot find a comfortable position to sleep in, do you have any advice? Do you think a physiotherapist would be able to help me with my shoulders? well, i suppose it's more the muscle between my neck and shoulders...

Thanks so much!!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi PregnantPatty

what you will find is that you are flexing your body forward from the rib area under your breasts. this is creating the pull on the neck and shoulders.

Rub those areas and work on taking your arms up and back as much as you can - this should release the neck.

For your back, get your husband to help you. Flex hips and knees to 90 degrees and get him to take your legs side to side in a smooth, rhythmical movement. This should ease the back up.

Douglas