Question
Posted by: Worried | 2008/06/20

Just picking up weight

I am a 32 year old woman, 1.59m and used to weigh 52kg. Now I weigh 55.4kg. I eat low GI and train 3-4 times a week. | also drink 2.5l of water a day. I had my thyroid and insulin tested.

Dear Worried
Your present BMI = 21,9 which is ideal for your height, so you are certainly not overweight and you do not need to lose any weight. Your gain of 3,4 kg could be due to electrolyte imbalances caused by drinking too much water. Adults need a total of 2,5 litres of LIQUID a day, so you may well be overdoing your liquid intake by drinking 2,5 litres of water in addition to other drinks, and this could lead to losses of important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium. Electrolyte imbalances will cause water retention which can account for your gain in mass (not a gain in fat). Another reason could be that you are developing a lot of muscle tissue from the exercise and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue.