Question
Posted by: Bassets | 2004/11/04

just male dominance?

I have got 2 Basset Hound dogs. Male is 1year, female 6 months.
The female dog is always obedient, hardly ever does something wrong - sleeps through the night and never wets the carpets. The male, on the other hand is very disobedient, he wets the carpets regurlarly, doen't sleep through the night - either wets the carpet or I take him outside. He is really impossible at times. Is it just a male dominance thing? Is he jealous? What can I do?

Hi Bassets
Bassets are notoriously hard to toilet train, so you're lucky you have one that is easy. If the male is not castrated then castrating him may help as urinating is often linked with male dominance, as you suggested. You will need to start from the beginning with him and pretend he's a puppy. Confine him to a space where he can only urinate on his "toilet" (e.g. strip of grass, box with straw in) at night and can't get to any carpets. Once he is using this toilet you can try moving it towards the door, but don't get up at night to let him out. He may be doing this to get attention because he is jealous of the other dog. Once he is using this toilet then you can either make a doggy door or try to get him to sleep through. Feed him earlier in the evening and take away all food and water after that. Take them out last thing at night and then give him Rescue Remedy when he goes to bed. Still leave the toilet there in case. Take them out first thing in the morning and ignore any mistakes. Do this for at least a week and he should be able to hold it in.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/05

Discuss sterilizing with thevet. I'd do it if you have no intention to breed. It stops them wanting to escape the yard if there is a less resonsible pet owner and they can smell a girl in heat. It doesn't make them more feminine. It stops the wandering and can help with agression and spraying. I have a neutered male rottie, and he's definately not less of a male rottie because of it.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Bassets | 2004/11/04

Thanks. Is it a good idea to sterilize him? I actually thought of only sterilizing the female, but would both be better?
Doesn't males get very feminine when you sterilize them?

Reply to Bassets
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/04

At one year all dogs go through a phase. All you can do is revert to basic toilet training. Watch him for signs of needing to go, take him outside and praise him for doing it there. Ignore him when he does it inside. If you give it any attention, even negative attention, it will take longer to go away. Try to take him out just before bedtime and perhaps he'll make it through the night. I don't always sleep through the night and sometimes have to get up to "go". Perhaps if you or someone in the house gets up in the night they could let them out for a few minutes?

Also, If he's not neutered he may be marking his territory/

Reply to Acineth