Question
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/02/12

Just for the record

I personally think that an Englishman speaking French sounds just as sexy and romantic as a Frenchman speaking English. I find it absolutely infuriating when others judge a person's accent or way of speach.

As an Afrikaans speaking person myself, I am very sensitive to this because although I attended English schools most of my life, my parents did not and they are often looked down upon because of their accent whenever they speak English and you know what, those mocking their accent are people who cannot speak a word of Afrikaans. At least some of us has gone the extra mile to learn a second, third and even fourth language.

Just a thought .................

Dear Lucia,
Thanks for encouraging me to be bolder when speaking my rusty French !

4
Posted by: Vuyo | 2004/02/17

This is something we (as black africans) have suffered with for so long. So many people(even some black people) expect you to speak English without an accent, and if you do, they look down on you as if you are stupid.

I didn't realise Afrikaans speaking people go through the same thing. As you say Lucia - we at least know more than one Language...........

Reply to Vuyo
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/02/14

I absolutely agree. Most countries are unilingual and the people cannot even speak a 2nd language. The Brits are the worst. They live just across the Channel but most of them can't say "Merci" or "Bonjour". I'm Afrikaans as well and I simply don't care about my accent because why do I have to speak English? -- Because the other person cannot speak Afrikaans!! Lucia, people who look down their noses at your parents are plain snobbish, and they can't speak Afrikaans anyway. Tell them that. WHY can't so many English-speaking South Africans speak Afrikaans? While we hairybacks bend over backwards to speak THEIR language. And I am ashamed to say I cannot speak one of the other 9 official languages ...

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/02/13

Paul - thank you for the support mon cherie

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: Paul | 2004/02/12

As a fluent english speaking fellow boertjie I say VIVA le france le resistance.

Reply to Paul