Question
Posted by: aily | 2004/10/26

just can't loose any weight

i'm 21, 1.64m tall and i wegh 57kg. i've been trying to reach my goal weight of 51kg for two years since i gained those extra kilos. was diagnosed with PCO's in march and had my fasting insulin checked, it came back normal. i went to a dietician and she said that i should still go on an insulin resistance diet if i wanted to loose weight. i've been on the diet for 4 months, i drink 6-8 cups of water a day and i excerise 3-4 times a week. in all that time, i haven't lost a single kilogram and i haven't lost any cm.....it just isn't working. my dietician keeps on telling me that it takes time....but then again, the longer it takes, the more she gets paid.
is there any truth to her words?

Dear Aily
Seeing that your present BMI = 21,2, which is below the ideal of 22 for which you would have to weigh 59 kg, I cannot understand why you are trying to lose more weight. If you drop down to 51 kg, your BMI will be 19, which is far too low. Although it is a good thing to be slender if you have PCOS you don't have to overdo things and land up looking anorexic. Continue with the diet as it will help to prevent future complications with insulin and do your exercise as this is always beneficial for keeping weight under control. I would drink less water, cut down to 4 cups a day as it is not good to overdo anything even a good habit like drinking water as this can wash essential minerals like potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium out of the body.
Take care