Question
Posted by: Dyl | 2005/12/05

Just a thought

Howzit guys and girls, i trust all is well you....

I was wondering about a few things this weekend. I'm sure that if you in the same boat as me will have thought of the same things as i have.

Now that the possibility of us being aloud to get married is here, what sort of influence will that have on those of us with kids.
will this make it more acceptable to their friends? will the schools be more open to "the Husband/Wife". how will our ex spouces feel about there ex husband having a husband? or gender reversed?

I know it just a piece of paper to many people out there, but isn't that exactly what it is to the hetro couples out there?

i will gladly be the first to marry my bf because it isn't just a piece of paper to me. its a life long commitment i will make and would want the law to see it as just that.

anyway, i'm just rambiling on now.

have a great week guys.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Dyl and thanks for your post, always good to hear from you.

4
Posted by: Deeve | 2005/12/06

Hi Dyl!
I'm really glad to hear that your'e going away as a 'family'. Your concerns are real, but I can assure you, having done this in 'bulk' for 5 years now, Nikki is right - for the most, people won't blink an eyelid. We can tell you some VERY amusing stories though, but all were at the expense of those nosey ones asking inapropriate questions!! My kids are totally at bay with my Buddy and I, and just tell people that thats my Dads friend.
The problem comes when you make bookings, and the receipt comes back: looking forward to Mr and Mrs..! Well I can assure you MRS does arrive - and he can do it rather well when put to the test - my b/f is an absolute card when people challenge him :-)
- lol. Just adopt the same attitude, and you will never have a problem. We even book in at guest farms in the Free State - kids and all!! The establishments are unsure at first, later confused, then give up bothering, and hey presto, the problems solved!
Maybe, your kids need to call your mate by his first name.... - lots of people think the b/f is my brother - who cares anyway...!
Best of luck!

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: Nikki | 2005/12/06

U right Dyl, just a piece of paper but in the end it brings that so much needed "privileges" that was only enjoyed by hetero's.

On the beach with the kids may be a disappointment for you, because I doubt anyone is going to "say" anything LOL.

In general ppl dont give a damm as long as there is joy and happy smiles all over, folk will not care and just enjoy themselves equally on the beach.

Happy holidaying ................... ;)

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Dyl | 2005/12/06

Why can we just all get along????? lol.

i wish we were just accepted for who we are, and not what we do in the bedroom!

this year will be the first time that bf, kids and i go away together, and i have to admit, it is really scary, not sure what the reaction will be from people on the beach, when they hear the kids talking to daddy and pappa.......

Reply to Dyl
Posted by: Tammycdtv | 2005/12/05

It's going to take a loooooooooooooooooong time, Dyl, before peoples' attitudes change.

Although there are positive signs already, especially in urban areas.

This is just a start ...

Reply to Tammycdtv