Question
Posted by: Liz123 | 2006/07/23

Just a chat

Hi all and CS

Just a small chat ….

Today I took my 16 year old son and 10 year old daughter to say goodbye to there dad, once again. He left for another 11 month contract with the UN. It has been 6 years that he has not been part of there lives.

I have to say, he is a wonderful person that is doing whatever he can, but the day to day functioning of the kids, he has no idée of. It’s really sad, but I do understand that there is no other option at this point in time.

Sometimes I just wonder what is going through the kids mind. Having a 16 year teenager is not always easy, but I’m blessed, for he is mild in temper, and homely. My trouble lies ahead – my daughter is the strong one, lets say the “Maggie Thatcher” personality!!

Anyway, hope you all have a stunning week.

This must be a challenging situation for all of you. At least with your family based here, you don't need to be lining up with the kids for evacuation from Lebanon or wherever ( it seems astounding to me the number of couples who cheerfully take loads of small children into war-zones and trouble spots ). And hats off to you that the UN hasn't had to send a peace-keeping mission to your home so far ! But they ought to be more aware of the unavoidable strains such arrangements will put on the families of employees, and make more arrangements for him to visit home and for you all to visit him, within these periods.
Hope it works out for you all !