Question
Posted by: Kel | 2008/07/14

Just 2 questions

1. I am a single mom and I am 28 next month. With the stress over the past 2 years, I can see that I have aged quite a bit, especially around my eyes. I use the Vichy range but don't know if the eye gel is enough for my eyes. Do you have any other suggestions on what I can use?

2. From my pregnancy, I have "pregnancy mask" on my forehead. It's blochy and more noticeable when I go in the sun. What can I do to take it away?

Thank you for your help and advise.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Kel, thank you for the question.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by ‘aged especially around the eyes’. I will presume that you have noticed the formation of wrinkles both below and to the sides of each eye, but if there are other concerns, please submit a new question and we can go from there.

Wrinkles around the eyes are best treated with Botox and will give a far superior result to most other modalities especially topical products.
However, other treatment options to consider are chemical peels, laser or IPL/Bi-Polar Radiofrequency skin rejuvenation, and skin tightening (Refirme, Thermage, Titan). Vichy have 6 different products for the eye area but I would add glycolic acid, vitamin E, and vitamin K to your regime and a good SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

The “Mask of Pregnancy” or Melasma is difficult to treat as it is pigmentation that is associated with hormonal changes and aggravated by the sun and typically forms on the cheeks, upper lip, forehead, and less so, on other parts of the body and furthermore one needs to differentiate if the pigmentation is dermal or epidermal.

If the Melasma is dermal, laser or IPL will actually DARKEN and worsen the appearance of the spots.
DERMAL MEALSMA is generally unresponsive to most treatments, and has only been found to lighten with products containing mandelic acid. So your best approach would be to use a combination of glycolic and mandelic acid peels together with topical products containing mandelic acid.

If the MELASMA IS EPIDERMAL one may try the topical treatments listed above together with the following:
Hydroquinone: prescription (4%) strength.
Azelaic acid (20%), thought to decrease the activity of melanocytes.
Glycolic acid, Kojic acid, Lactic acid, and Citric acid
Vitamin A or pro-vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin C or ascorbic acid
Licorice extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra), Mulberry Root extract (Morus Bombycis), and Bearberry extract (Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi)
Arbutin and Arginine
By combining the above with glycolic acid peels one should get an improved result. If this regime does not show a visible improvement one may consider IPL/Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron elight or emax), laser (Fraxel, Lumenis) or IPL (Ellipse) skin rejuvenation.

Following from the above your best approach would be to consult an aesthetic practitioner, cosmetic dermatologist, or a plastic surgeon with a special interest in topical skin treatments who can examine the areas that concern you and advise you on the best treatment option/s.

I hope all of the above helps and I wish you all the best in reducing your stress and progressing forward with all the happiness you deserve.
All of the above can be researched in more depth on my web page: http://www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za and look for the Anti-Ageing Database search button. From ther you can type the ingredients or topics that interest you.