Question
Posted by: Charl | 2011/02/04

Jumping the fence

How do I get my dog to stop jumping over the wall to my girlfriend''s place, who also has a 14 week rotweiller pup.

My dog, Rudy (Pitbull) is currently 7months old.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Charl, firstly if you are not taking the dog out enough for additional stimulation he will be more likely to look for it himself, so up the walks and interaction and supply him with some nice big Ox Femur bones and chew toys to occupy him and make sure he is getting enough human companionship. Where jumping a fence is concerned.Fence jumping is a self-rewarding behaviour as the newly escaped dog feels a sense of freedom and hope of finding someone to pay attention to him and he gets to play with the dog next door and received additional attention from you. Management is normally the easiest manner to approach this. You can raise the wall to stop him or put on L brackets with the top part of the L facing inwards to prevent him jumping. Another thing i find very effective is to place objects in front of the wall so that he cant run to jump.When you are in the garden with him, start to encourage the dog's energy into activities that take place away from the fence. Throw a ball or frisbee, and frequently praise the dog for getting the ball and returning to you. If he approaches the fence, regain his attention immediately, and when he looks at or comes to you, praise him right away and resume playtime. Remember that for most dogs, playing with him is a great reinforcer. Good luck and do let me know how it goes, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/04

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert