Question
Posted by: Megan | 2007/04/02

Jumping dogs

My 2 dogs (aged 1 years) - brother & sister get so excited when they see a person that they jump up on you all the time. You can shout at them & it does not stop them. It does not worry me, but my visitors sometimes get a bit irritated. I have tried to turn my back every time they jump - this does not help either. What can I do????

Have you taken then to obedience classes? They should be taught to obey voice commands and be rewarded for that. They can be taught not to jump up. Getting mud all over your colthes is never fun - especially if you are on your way out!

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/02

Stop shouting at them, it just adds to the excitement.

Ignore them when you arrive home, and only greet them after a few minutes.

If they keep jumping, raise your knee so they hit that - do not use force - or nudge their hind feet with your foot - again, not hard. This should discourage them. Never reward the behaviour, not even when you actually don't mind them jumping, like when you're wearing old clothes anyway. Make no exceptions.

Reply to Chill