Question
Posted by: Anna | 2006/04/17

Joint pain ankles and wrists

I started experiencing pain in both my hand wrists about 2 months ago, and soon after pain in both my ankles. Blood tests indicated no form of arthritis and x-rays no form of bone deterioration or any other fractures or growths. I cannot stand or walk for too long then the soles of my feet would start to burn real bad. I can use my hands, although I cannot grip anything tight and had to refrain from my yoga exercise and gardening for a while. I obtained day-time wrist and ankle support and night splints from an Orthopedic supplier to see if that will help. I suspect carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists and possibly tarsal tunnel syndrome in my ankles, although I have not visited a Orthotist to confirm this yet. I would just like to know what could have caused this pain to develop in both my hand wrists and ankles almost at the same time.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anna
I suggest you see a rheumatologist as there may be other causes like plantar fasciitis for the burning feet. Some arthritis forms are sero-negative (not picked up in the blood) and I think you need to see and expert to give an informed opinion when he/she has done a full physical and history as well as the necessary tests.