Question
Posted by: mary | 2004/01/05

Joint & muscle pain

For about the last 18 months I have been have increasing pain in my elbows, knees & lower back, it even wakes me up sometimes and is especially bad in the mornings or if I have been sitting still for a while. The last few months I have also been having pain in the muscles of my upper arms and thighs - it feels as if I have been doing unaccustomed exercise (I haven't). I am 55, height 5'5" small boned & weigh 59 kg, so although I know I am slightly overweight I don't think it is enough to put strain on my joints?

Mary, I don’t think that your weight has anything to do with it. It sounds like it might be arthritis, but I can’t really say what the cause of the arthritis is without examining you first. It might be osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis, a viral infection and a host of other causes. I can send you something I wrote on osteoarthritis (mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za), but the best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. In the meantime you can try taking a long-acting anti-inflammatory like Brexecam® and see what it does. Good luck.