Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/06/10

Joint Custody moving Provinces

I moved from Gauteng after my divorce with my 18th mnth baby. 2 1/2 years later i moved back to Gauteng. I now want to return to the province I moved to but my ex is fighting me as we have joint custody. We have all been assessed by a pyshcologist who now wants a home visit to see my child's living environment. Is this normal. What does making a decision of whether it is better for the child to stay in Gauteng or move have to do with a house visit

I'm not sure that any specific content to an assessment is laid down. IF a psychologiost wants to be thorough and feels that it would help him / her to understand the situation better, a home visit is probably fairly unusual, but not unheard of, and could be very reasonable. On such a visit one can see quite a bit about the housing situation, how the child is in his normal home surroundings ( compared with how he is in the shrinks office )l and so on. If you oppose such a visit, it might look as though you had something to hide, even if you didn't