Question
Posted by: Hebah | 2004/11/25

Jogging and Allergy, any connection there?

I started jogging in the afternoon 2 weeks ago and experienced sore throat, headache itchy ears, which my Doc diagnosed as allergy, I was given Nasal spray as my throat was dry and rested for a week. I was not sure if this was connected to my new hobby of jogging so I didint mention it to my Doc, however I started Jogging on Monday morning because I felt better, on my way back home, I started coughing and I could smell blood coming from my lungs, each time I try to breath, I vomated water mixed with mucus, my chick bones started to burn and the headache came back, Do you think this has to do with jogging and the air that I breath as lungs open when I run?

Hi Hebah

It may be that the jogging has exposed you to the obviously higher rates of air flow, and this has precipitated your allergy. I would not want to oppose the views of your doctor and so I have to assume that it is an allergy. Perhaps just being outdoors has exposed you to the allergens that you may not otherwise have encountered. I think that the blood in the lungs is worrying though, and so I would go back to the doctor and see what the think now, and perhaps change the medical approach to it. I think that your doctor needs to know you are running and can then elminate any other potential problems. But the blood is a new development that I do think you should address, and so is the vomiting. It may be severe allergy, but I think that you should rule out other possibilities.