Question
Posted by: lina | 2008/07/11

jogging

i am jogging 3 times weekly 3.2km at abt 23 mins and would like to improve it. How. I am already feeling breathless with this speed

Hi Lina

It's not unusual, and at the risk of dismissing your current breathing problems, this is something that you will look back on in months to come and wonder what all the fuss was about, because you'll learn how to breathe and become fitter.

I think that for now (because I remember this feeling myself, it's not great), what you need to do is break that run up into smaller sections that are more manageable. You might, for example, consider running 5 minutes, walking 2 minutes, and repeating this four times. That gives you a total of 28 minutes, of which 20 are run, 8 are walked. You can then, over the course of the next few weeks increase the running part, reduce the walking part and you'll soon find that those 5 minute sections that might currently cause problems don't any longer.

The key is that you have to progressively "overload" your system - this means you need to look at going longer or faster. But obviously, you don't just go out and run as fast as possible for as long as possible - rather break it up, use walking to help you recover and you'll find that in a couple of weeks, you're making progress.

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/07/12

You could go jogging 5-6 times dailly.

Reply to Zexeon