Question
Posted by: Tyrone | 2005/01/04

Jock Itch Treatment Question

Hi Doctor,

I get jock itch fairly regularly (twice a year about) and it stays with me for quite some time. I first used Travocort cream which did not seem to help much and a doctor told me that it probably would not work, and to rather try Lamisil cream. The previous time I used it, it worked like a charm, and have now been using it again for about a week.

I regularly go to gym and I also do mountain biking. I have started lining Prep cream in my cycling shorts as a suggestion in the Ride magazine but it doesn't prevent it.

My question basically is, am I using the right treatment and after what time period of using it should I be concerned if the itch doesn't clear up?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards,
Tyrone van Schalkwyk

Tyrone, Lamisil® would be the first line of treatment for jock itch, but there is nothing wrong with Travocort if you use it for 5 days twice a year. Let me know if you have more questions (as a new question please). Good luck.