Question
Posted by: Morne' | 2007/05/28

Job offer

I went for an interview for a Management position and the Managers promised me to offer me the position. This morning I received the letter of appointment to my suprise its still the same position Im currently on, the salary and the grading its still the same. I didnt sign the offer, I sent one of the managers an e-mail to discuss the offer with since its not the position I have applied for. Pls advise on the nice words I can use when I meet with him.

op sounds exactly right. And get a more detaled explanation --- if you applied for a post they did no think you qualified for, they shouldn't have even interviewed you. If they think you need and deserve more managerial experience to enable you to seek further promotions, they should have offered you that explicityl and in the context of your present job. They should be offering further TRAINING and specific managerial experience, not using you to fill awkward gaps elsewhere in the company in the meantime --- whatever changes in your job they are suggesting should be explicitly so as to enable you to move up soon.

8
Posted by: ...... | 2007/05/29

How are you going to get Manegerial Experience if you still won't be employed as or given the title of Manager???????? What is wrong with them. It's like telling a school leaver, sorry we can't appoint you because you have no working experience. DUH!!!!!! I would tell them, sorry, but I was interviewed for the position of manager, and if you feel I'm not qualified for the position, then don't give it to me. Especially since there will be no change in your title, job description or salary. Why even go through it at all??

Reply to ......
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/29

yes take it as it gives you a foot in the door. They obviiously see something in you they want to develop!

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Joy | 2007/05/28

Yes well if you've been contemplating something new and the position is appealling..go for it! you can take on new management courses and get where you're going faster!
good luck

Reply to Joy
Posted by: Morne' | 2007/05/28

Yes, its within the company. I spoke to the Managers just now, they said since I dont have any Managerial experience I have to work myself towards that position. They wont appoint anyone at this stage, they will re-imburse my travel since I'll be required to travel a lot. So do you think its a wise move or?

Reply to Morne'
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/28

Is this within the same company? Yes, just tell him you are concerned that there was a misunderstanding

Reply to RMC
Posted by: helper | 2007/05/28

sorry op but i agree with a mom - either he is full blown alzheimer or he is an arsehole. in any event he should not be in the position he is in.
however that does not solve your problem. In this case i agree with Op. u need to treat this arsehole with diplomacy ( i did not say respect mind you)

Reply to helper
Posted by: op | 2007/05/28

Honestly there are some people in this forum that have no regard for others! Anyway, calmly ask him if there was a misundertanding with regards to your application. Tell him that you were under the impression that your application would be for a different position. Keep it simple

Reply to op
Posted by: A Mom | 2007/05/28

Can I have your job as you don't know what you are doing arsehole?

Reply to A Mom