Question
Posted by: Fight or flee | 2004/01/16

Job dilemma

I have been temping since Monday for this company and I was told it may become permanent. The woman teaching me has been fine with me but this morning she arrived at work and said that she had bought the paper for me to look for a permanent position. The people here like me and I felt a bit "out" when she said that to me. I couldn't help but feel that she was being a bit nasty. How do I deal with this negativity as I really hope I become permanent.

Dear fof,
I agree with soul, sounds like she feels threatened, and maybe resents the fact that you're capable and that people like you --- I expect that she's not all that capable herself, and that she is NOT popular. If you like the company in general, the work and the other people, go for the potentially permanent post, and good luck to you --- she's only a tiny fraction of the people working there, and there's someone nasty and jealous in any company. Don't let her discourage you.

3
Posted by: Paul | 2004/01/16

Does this woman KNOW that the position may become permanent? If she doesn't know, then maybe she is actually being NICE in bringing you the paper in the hope that you can find a permanent job. If she does know then I agree with the other replies .... stand your ground. Good luck.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: RICK | 2004/01/16

fON'T GIVE UP. TAKE HER ON. ASK HER STRAIGH OUT WHY DID SHE SUGGEST YOU GO LOOKING FOR A JOB IF YOU HAVE A TEMP JOB. ONE THING YOU MUST LERAR..DO NOT TALK TO TOO MANY PEOPLE AT WORK ABOUT WHAT CAN HAPPEN, WHAT MAY HAAPEN AND SO ON. DON'T TELL THEM -KEEP THEM GUESSING. YOUR BUSINESS IS YOUR BUSINESS - KEEP THEM IS SUSSPENSE. ther are far too many people worrying about other peoples business instead of getting on with the job.
don take it. go to the head of the department and discuss it with him/her.

Reply to RICK
Posted by: Soul | 2004/01/16

You fight for your job and if it does become permenant you takeit, that is if your happy there and things are good.

I would say she feels threatened by you and she doesn't like the fact that the people like you. Don't give her that power over you. It's hard out there looking for jobs and you should grab it while you can.

Don't let her get to you if you turn and run now what will you do when it happens again cause believe me it will, there will always be someone who doesn't want you around because of their own insecurities. Stand up and fight for yourself and show her that your not a push over stand your ground you will get further in life especially in the business world.

If she keeps pushing let her know in a polite way that you are happy where you are and make it known to her that you hope it will become a permenant offer and if she doesn't like it well then that's her problem you don't have to speak to her just do your job.

Hope things work out for you, whatever you do Don't back down!!!

Reply to Soul