Question
Posted by: jittery | 2004/01/13

jittery after hijacking / accident

I was involved in a hijacking / accident a few months ago. I am so nervous when my husband drives, but when I drive I’m OK. He gets fed up with me telling him he is driving too fast, so now I just sit like a dead person and close my eyes I also feel very uncomfortable/ scared when I drive the car that was involved in the accident, and when I get near the place where it happened (it is my daily route to work and back – there is no other way), I find myself constantly having to look around. Lately I’m imagining someone at the car wanting to hijack me again. I also don’t want to drive the kids around – I just think if I’m hijacked with them in the car, I will not be able to live with myself.
Why is it that I can drive 15 ks from my husbands work to mine and visa versa, then I’m OK, but otherwise I’m scared?
PS This was my second hijacking in nine years

Dear jittery --- how very unpleasant ! And how very normal, too ! This is a form of acute stress disorder, a very normal response after such a traumatic / unpleasant and frightening experience. usually such common symptoms, which you describe very well, fade out in the first couple of months. If they don't, it's worth seeing a psychiatrist for an assessment of whether some treatment would help them to fade sooner. And it's especially understandable as this has been your second experience of hijacking. One is left with a marked sensitivity to sights and sounds with some link to the unpleasant events, that recall them painfully, and one can feel as if they are happening again, and feel very uncomfortable when faced with reminders of them. medication might help, counselling definiely would. It's a good idea to get assessed and into some treatment soon now, rather than encourage these symptoms to become more chronic.

1
Posted by: k00s | 2004/01/14

ye i think ole cybermans advice is the best,,,,somethin else u can do since u hav to drive that road,,,is to get yourself a good firearm & go for shooting lessons & try to channel your energy to being awake & ready for possible bad happenings,,,not in the sense that u go into a total state of hyperalertness but in the sense that u at least feel if the f#$%ers try somethin again ull hav a lill surprise or 2 for them,,,,in sa we need to fight bac coz lotsa other people dont seem to feel like fighting for us.

b strong

Reply to k00s