Question
Posted by: kelly | 2007/08/02

jelly on belly

my son Aidan is a 2 time south african champion in trampoline. he gyms every day and is very fit. he eats a kellogs special k bar and a banana for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch and a meal replacement for dinner. he still has a belly, although you can only see it when he is wearing a leotard. the meal replacement he drinks is nutren active. we tried alot of things before. what can he do to lose the belly?

Dear Kelly
I can't really judge if Aidan is overweight or not because you don't list his weight in kg or height in metres or his age. If he is tremendously fit (which must be the case if he is SA trampoline champ) then I think that he is not overweight and the slight belly which is only visible when he wears a leotard could be tightened up with exercises that target the tummy such as situps. From what you say, however, Aidan does not really eat a balanced diet (too low in calcium, iron, and esp carbohydrates to fuel his exercise). Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Ask if the dietitian specialises in sports diets. In the meanwhile click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp the ones on carbohydrates, carbo-loading and proteins.