Question
Posted by: Ndola | 2006/07/17

Jelly like

This morning when I took a bath there was a jelly like transparent substance and not smelling coming out of my vagina. I am 19 weeks praganant should I be scared?

It could just be an increase in the normal discharge which occurs in pregnancy.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2006/07/17

It sounds like your mucous plug.

Phone your gynae and see what s/he says. Your body will make a new one, so I don't think its too serious, however, its something that usually comes out a day or so before (or on the day) that you go into labour. Also, near the end of your pregnancy, it can come out if you make love or have an internal check with the gynae, but they tell you not to worry about it as your body makes a new one.

Don't bath (you can shower) because if it is the mucous plug, you can get an infection.

It shouldn't be bigger than golf ball sized, and although it might be streaked with blood, it shouldn't be completely blood.

I think you should phone your gynae asap though. If its not serious thats fine, but if it is, the sooner your gynae sees you the better.

Reply to Purple