Question
Posted by: MARIE | 2004/10/27

jejenum surgery or small intestine surgery

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS OPERATION. IT MAKES YOU LOOSE WIEGHT. PLEASE E-MAIL ME OR GIVE ME WEB SITES WHERE I CAN LOOK INTO IT.

Dear Marie
Yes, this op will help you to lose weight, BUT it is going to change your life drastically. It is a major op and a involves a general anaesthetic which is always risky. After the op you will have to adjust you food intake very carefully so that you don't have acute stomach ache, diarrhoea, malabsorption, etc, all the time. You will also always have to take vitamin, mineral and protein supplements as your absorption of these essential nutrients will not be normal any more and without them you will become very weak and tired. If you do not suffer from severe obesity, then I would not recommend this op to you. However you can ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon in your area who does these ops.