Question
Posted by: s | 2005/01/04

jaw problem

dear doc

for a couple of years now i have this problem with my jaw. it feels like it doesnt fit in its socket properly. as if it's lose or dislocated or something. sometimes it pains, especially if i eat hard things or thingd that require a lot of chewing.

about a year ago i went to a dentist and he mad a plastic bite-guard to keep in my mouth. it was expensive and very awkward, but nonetheless i kept it in for the required (i think it was) three weeks. after that period i went back to him. it hadnt done much for me. he said i would have to wear it indefinitely till my problem is solved. i stopped wearing it.

my jaw is currently very sore. i also cant open my mouth very wide and it is uncomfortable to eat certain things because of this.

what do i do?

S, it might be due to a host of factors including:
1. Problems of the jaw joint like arthritis
2. Grinding your teeth
3. Referred pain from your sinuses, ear, etc.
4. Parotid gland problems.
5. Tooth problems.
Unfortunately, I can’t narrow it down for you without examining you first, so the best would be to see your doctor or a maxillofacial surgeon. In the meantime, you can try taking a long-acting anti-inflammatory like Brexecam® and see if it helps. If you are interested in some more information on temperomandibular joint disorders you are welcome to mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll cut and paste you something. Good luck.