Question
Posted by: kirby | 2007/12/12

jardine lover

I am a regular on this forum but first time that i am asking a question. My Jardine "Pepe" is about 3 years old. I had him since he was a baby. I am a little dissapointed because Pepe does not spreak alot and if he does it is very unclear but he whistle everything you say. He is very spoil and I spend about 4 hrs per day with him. He is very fussy with food and only eats the sunflower seeds, he skips the pellets/peanuts/dried fruit. He loves fresh fruit which I give him and loves cook rice/potatoes. He also loves yoghart. My question: is sunflower seeds unhealty for him as he loves it?
He loves to be out the cage and walks around every where I go. Struggle to put him back in the cage. He also loves drive car .He is my pretty boy and i love him dearly.
Is there any other jardine lovers so that we can chart.

Giving one type of food can limit the nitrition but if he eats synflower seeds along with other seds and fruit etc it should be fine.

2
Posted by: Kirby | 2007/12/13

Thanks Carol for the info. I am going to give it ago by taking away the seeds slow but surely. Can you suggest some food products which will be good for him. I will also go to the petshop for advise. Will keep you informed but once again thanks for all your info.

Reply to Kirby
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/12

I dont have a Jardine but I Do have a Timneh Grey a Jenday conure and a Sun Conure all of which I love to bits especially my little Sun.

Jardines arent good talkers.

You are going to have to get him off the sunflower seeds, a sunflower seed diet isnt good enough for parrots. I give only a few to my birds as a snack. Too many peanuts are also not good.

To get him onto a healthier diet is going to be difficult... does he eat veggies with you???

I found this on the net

Problems of an All-seed Diet

No one seed species, by itself, will contain all of the nutrients required by a bird for long-term good health. Even combining a variety of seeds together may not provide complete nutrition for most birds. According to Dr. Randall N. Brue of Kaytee Products in Chilton, Wisconsin, most seed mixes fed to companion birds have these deficiencies:

Specific Amino acids- Lysine, methionine
Vitamins - Vitamins A, D-3, B-12, and riboflavin. Possibly vitamins E, K, pantothenic acid, biotin, niacin, and choline.
Minerals - Calcium, and possibly sodium.
Trace Minerals - Possibly iron, copper, zinc, manganese, iodine, and selenium.

Relying on seeds as the sole diet of most bird species will result in malnutrition. Some bird species will display signs of malnutrition earlier than others, depending on what that species requirements are. Signs of malnutrition in birds include:

Malformed feathers
Excessive growth of the beak and nails
Flaky skin
Black discoloration in green or yellow feathers
Excess keratin (horn) on the beak, giving it a scaley appearance
Chronic infections
Paralysis (lutino -|- atiels)
Brown thickened flaking cere (budgerigars)
Egg binding, soft-shelled eggs, spraddle legged babies
Feather destructive behavior
Obesity
Fatty liver disease
Malnutrition is not limited to birds on an all-seed diet. Other diets, including formulated diets, can also contribute to malnutrition.

Hold These Thoughts:

No single food or food formula exists that will meet the nutritional requirements of all species of birds
Seeds are a natural and important source of nutrients that should be included as a part of most bird diets.
Excluding all seeds from our birds' diets simply because they lack some nutrients, the same as all other food, is a poor dietary decision.
An all seed diet causes malnutrition in birds.

The most detrimental aspect of feeding seeds to birds is the fact that most birds, when given a choice between seeds, fruits, and vegetables, will choose seeds. Many pet bird owners complain that their birds will not eat fruits and vegetables. Confronted with their birds' disinterest and waste, they stop offering anything but seeds. This in turn leads to malnutrition and the unfair reputation that seeds received from veterinarians and others who saw the results of an all-seed diet.

Many professional bird keepers and breeders have used and still do use seeds successfully as part of an overall healthy diet. This can be accomplished by utilizing a feeding strategy. Different facilities have used different approaches and those who use them claim they work.

In Psittascene Aviculture by the Avicultural Breeding and Research Center, Seed/pellet/dried pepper/cuttlebone mixture is listed as the base maintenance diet, a fruit/vegetable mash is offered four days a week, chopped fruits and vegetables two days a week. Specialized foods for specific species are also offered: (pine nuts for thick-billed parrots, palm nuts for hyacinthine macaws, etc.) Seed mixes are offered in the afternoon after the morning vegetable or mash has been consumed. This is because the birds eat more vegetables in the morning when they are hungry.
In his book, Psittaculture, Tony Silva describes feeding his charges at Loro Parque a twice-daily regimen. Fruits and vegetables are fed in the morning when the birds are hungry. A few hours after those foods are consumed, sprouts and a small amount of seeds or nuts are offered for the second feeding. In the evening before lights out, a slice of fruit or vegetable is offered as a treat or snack.
Thomas Arndt in Atlas of Conures suggests putting morsels of fruit and vegetable on a nail (kabob) next to the bird's favorite perch. He also recommends not feeding seeds in a mixture, but rather offering them separately so birds will overall consume a variety instead of picking out their favorites. Chris Biro finds this method of feeding seeds to be a good solution for his own birds and I have found it works quite well for mine, too. I may offer my birds a mixture of canary and millet on one day, but sunflower or safflower are fed separately on other days.
John Doole, author of Parrot Sense, offers three different mixes of seeds in separate dishes. Each dish contains a mixture of seeds of approximately the same size. One dish contains small seeds, another medium seeds, and the third a mixture of different varities of sunflower seeds combined with a commercial large parrot mix. He also offers fresh fruit and vegetable salads plus a variety of pasta, crackers, nuts and dried fruits. His strategy is no strategy. He believes birds will want to eat what they need and he sees their preferences change with the seasonas and breeding activity.
Each bird keeper must determine if the bird is consuming a balance of foods from what is being fed. If the bird does not consume a healthy variety, then the owner must create a strategy appropriate for the particular bird. If one strategy does not work, then another should be tried.

Seeds are part of the natural diet of many birds in addition to all kinds of vegetation and insect or other animal protein. Pellets, on the other hand, are not part of any bird's natural diet, but they do offer the advantage of including some amino acids, vitamins, and minerals not found in seeds.

Development of Pellets
Pellets were developed in response to rampant problems of malnutrition that veterinarians saw in their exotic bird patients.

Because of the prevailing belief that seeds were the proper diet for birds, many pet bird owners were feeding seed and only seed to. Well-known bird trainers and behaviorists also fed their birds a mostly seed diet. Pieces of fruit or vegetable were considered 'treats' and were used as rewards for performing a task.

Many bird breeders, too, were feeding just seeds to their breeder birds as a 'maintenance diet' strategy. Only when breeding season arrived, would they include critically needed fruits, vegetables, and green foods to their bird's diets. Fortunately through hard-won education, this particular 'maintenance diet / breeding myth' has mostly died out.

As we saw from the previous page, a diet of seeds alone lacks several critical nutrients. Without these nutrients, birds will sooner or later, depending on species or individual needs, fall ill and die.

Between the '60 and the 80's, it was common knowledge that amazon parrots 'are prone to respiratory disease.' The same belief was held about Pionus parrots. In fact, neither Pionus or Amazons were 'prone' to respiratory disease. They simply were suffering from the absence of vitamin A in their all-seed diets. Vitamin A is needed to help fight respiratory and other diseases.

Stories about birds dying from egg-binding were common, as was the fact of spraddle-legged hatchlings. These problems were caused by deficiencies of calcium and/or vitamin D in their all-seed diet.

Responding to the need for improved captive bird diets, nutritionists, veterinarians, universities, and feed manufacturers began to develop formulated feeds for birds that would compensate for the inability of uneducated bird owners to provide adequate nutrition for their birds.

Reply to Carol